Kenyan Pilau Rice
Ingredients (for two servings, assuming you will be really hungry)
Quarter kilogram of goat, mutton or beef
One garlic clove
2 cardamom pods
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cups rice
2 whole black peppercorns
2 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
A pinch of ground ginger (about a quarter of teaspoon)
¼ cup cumin seed powder
1 small tomato
2 cups water
- Boil the meat in salted water for a few minutes or until tender.
- Crush the garlic and cardamom together with 2tbsp water using a mortar and pestle.
- Fry the onion until it is golden brown.
- Add the rice, meat, garlic and cardamom mixture, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and cumin seed powder.
- Cook covered over medium heat until all are nicely brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Cook and stir until the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked down to the consistency of a sauce.
- Add the 2 cups water to the rice mixture, bring to a boil and then cook over very low heat, (while covered) for another 15-20 minutes, until all water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Serve with kachumbari (chopped tomatoes, red onion and cilantro – add lemon juice, salt and pepper)